Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Abundance!

I was reading a good friend's blog today. She was discussing how blessed we are as a whole, and how much we as a whole take it for granted. It got me thinking..

I have been blessed with an over abundance. I don't have trouble finding things to complain about, but in the end I am blessed. I have so much more than other people around the world, and I definitely take it for granted. It's not hard as Americans to become spoiled, self indulgent, and to feel entitled.

She is right on so many levels. How many people don't have shoes? I have a shoe rack overflowing. How many people don't have electricity? As I sit here in my air conditioning while using my laptop. How many people went hungry tonight? While I sit here with a very full tummy. It's sad, it's hard, but it's true.

We are blessed on so many different levels, and our eyes are so often clouded with greed that we fail to notice all that we do have. I need to make a more conscious effort to be thankful, grateful, and happy about all that I do have. So it starts here.. Here is a short list of some of the things I am appreciative of.

I have a wonderful family. I have a loving, amazing husband. We have been blessed to be married for 6 years. We are also blessed to be celebrating 10 years together this summer. It's amazing to think we have spent a decade together. Something even more amazing is the fact that he has been my soul mate for more than a 1/3 of my life. We are blessed to still be married. I am grateful that we have stayed together through thick and thin, through richer or poorer, and through the best and the worst.

We have an awesome, beautiful son. He lights up my life, and teaches me things everyday. He has made me a mom, which is something else to be thankful for. He is healthy, and vibrant and wondrous. I am thankful that I am his mother and he my son.

I am grateful for the friends and family out there that complete me. The ones that go out of there way to be there, love me, and take care of me. The ones that regardless of the time that passes, we have a bond so strong that we can pick up like it was just yesterday when we last spoke. I am thankful for those who stand behind me, the ones who stand in front of me, stand up for me and the ones that let me lean on them when I can't stand up straight. I am blessed.

I am grateful for the roof over my head, and the electricity, heat, air conditioning, plumbing that keeps me comfortable. I am thankful for the pantry and fridge full of food. I am glad that we have money in the bank, and can afford silly little luxuries. We are blessed to have great credit, and be able to pay our bills on time. I am thankful for our vehicles and all of the other amazing conveniences we take for granted. I am thankful for medical benefits. I am grateful that Joseph's college fund already has more than we had when we started school.

I am completely overjoyed and thankful for all my husband does to provide for us, so that I can stay home and fulfill my calling of being a homemaker and stay at home mom. I am grateful for these opportunities. I appreciate how hard he works.

I am thankful for SJA and all of our great friends and family in Christ. We are blessed to have found a church that fits us so well. So long we tried to fit ourselves to different churches, never knowing there was one out there that fit us so well. So glad we found them.

Every step, every turn, every wall, every roadblock, every slammed door, every fall has led us to where we are today. We wouldn't be where we are, or who we are if anything had been done differently. Every heartbreak, every tear, every scar, every sad and scary thing that we've gone through, fell through, tripped through has brought us here.

I love my family. I love my husband. I love my son. I love the life we have built brick by brick. I have a renewed sense of happiness and appreciation for all the cards God has dealt us.

2 comments:

  1. :) I love you. It's good to recognize our blessings, isn't it? God is so good to those who love Him.
    And hooray for the hubby, taking such good care of the family. He's a great guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent blog! We are so completely blessed and still find so much to whine about. Shame on us. And good for you for counting your blessings.

    I count you & Jeremiah & Joseph as among my top blessings. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete