Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My BIG Plan

So, I've said on here a couple of times that I am interested in losing some weight before the next pregnancy. I'm not one of those, "Oh I'm so fat and ugly" type girls. I accept my body. I have been overweight most of my life. It's nothing that just sorta happened. I've always been a "bigger" girl. I accept my body for what it is, but if losing some weight can make me healthier for another pregnancy, then I am going to try my darn-dest to shed a few pounds. A few months ago I was able to shed 19 lbs, but I went back to my old activities and put it, plus five additional lbs on. This isn't the first time it's happened. When we lived in Colorado I lost 21 pounds. I unfortunately got extremely sick with viral meningitis and once I wasn't sick anymore, I was still extremely weakened, and wound up putting those twenty, plus another 6 on. I currently weigh 45 lbs more than when we were married, and 85 lbs more than when we had our first date.

The culprit is not just one thing. I'm an emotional eater. Eating makes me feel better. I also eat way too much. And I eat crappy foods. I have a weakness for fast food and for pop. If I cut those 2 things out of my diet and did nothing else I would lose a considerable amount of weight. On top of all those other things, I do not excercise. I have never been one for much physical activity. Put all of those things together and you get a person who is more than 100 lbs overweight.

Change isn't easy, I'm sure most of you know that. It's not that I don't know what to eat, or how much, or how often, I do. But, coming back to the emotional eating part, part of my brain doesn't listen. Food is my drug. Food is my addiction.

I am trying to do as much as I can to prevent this from happening to Joseph. I became extremely addicted to pop and it's caffeine at an early age. That is why I don't want Joseph even having a little pop yet. My parents don't understand this. When I take Joseph over to their house they like to give him very sugary, very fatty, very salty foods. Foods with empty calories and little nutritional value. It's all the foods I grew up eating on a regular basis. I'm struggling to find a voice and explain this to them. I want him to be healthier than I was as a child. It's hard to break the chain, it's hard to stop history from repeating itself. Not even taking into account how bad for you most of these foods are, he always has a tummy ache when he comes home and then spends much of the night up. It's hard for his system to go from healthier foods to straight junk food. Don't get me wrong, the kid gets plenty of "junk" type foods. He gets candy and sweet treats ONCE IN A WHILE. He gets chocolate milk. He gets chips sometimes. He gets ice cream and pudding sometimes. But it's all in moderation. But it's not like a free for all at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Most of my attempts at living a healthier life have failed. I have had 2 gym memberships that went mostly unused. I wanted the Wii Fit because I thought it would make working out fun. That too failed. But, I may have found something that might work. It will get me a little more active, it's relatively fun and easy, and it's something I can do with Joseph.

Riding a bike.

I'm sure you all remember the recalled crib fiasco and Walmart giving us such a hard time. Well when we finally got them to take it back, all they would give us was store credit. I do not care for Walmart and did not want a $200 plus giftcard, but was left with no other options. We used some of the giftcard to purchase Olive Garden and AMC giftcards for a date the other night, and were still left with a balance of about $140. I had planned to use some of it with Christmas shopping, but then had another idea. Maybe a bike could help this rut I'm in. So, Joseph and I went and purchased an adult mountain bike, a basket for the front (because I will for sure need a place to store things now that I'm a mom), an infant seat to attach to the back, a comfy seat cover for me, and a helmet for Joseph.

Now, I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager. It's not as easy as I remember. Mainly because I weigh so much more than I did back then, but also because I am toting a 26 lb toddler and 5-10 lbs of extra junk in my basket. After some help from the bestman at our wedding, Joseph and I were ready to go. Remembering how long and far I used to ride I thought it would be no issue to ride the bike to church for evening prayer which is about 7 miles away. Boy was I wrong. We did about a 1/2 mile yesterday and then had to stop. I don't remember the seat being this uncomfortable. I actually may need to get one of those "wider" seats to make this more comfortable. But then this morning, we rode up to Meijer to pick up a couple things and back. That was about 1 1/2 miles total. I felt good afterwards. So, I'm trying. It's not going to be easy, but I'm giving it an honest effort. The plus side, Joseph really seems to enjoy it.

My goal isn't extreme. I would like to lose 10 lbs a month. That's only 2 1/2 lbs a week. It's feasible. Especially if I eat and drink properly, and try and get out and do some activity several times a week. If this all goes well, if I stick to this seriously this time, I should be down over 70 lbs by New Year's.

I know that losing weight and living a healthier life won't guarantee I won't have complications with the next pregnancy and may still have to be on bed rest, but I know this will lower the chances of that happening. That's what really matters.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have never stalked your journal until today and this is the first thing I saw! 1. Congratulations, starting a lifestyle change is really hard. 2. my sister started an exercise plan at christmas and she has already lost an incredible amount of weight. she had never run before but started couch-to-5k (www.c25k.com)program and she has started to loooove running. Please let me know if you needs tips, encouragement, or anything else! Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I am really giving a good try this time. The biking is going well. I am building up my stamina, slowly. Joseph is really loving it, in fact everytime we go somewhere and don't take the bike he throws a bit of a tantrum (we have to walk by it to get to the car). I need to remember to take music on the rides. I know that will make it a bit more fun and distract my from the work a little. I am giving myself rewards at certain milestones of weight loss so that should help keep my motivated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you!!! I've wanted a bike for a while, too, since it seems a much better alternative to running or walking. I agree that it's hard to give up our old habits, but I know we can do it. I'm proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete