So, I haven't really talked about this because I wanted to be sure about things before I brought it up. However, I am feeling a little anxious about it, and hope that writing about it will ease some of the worry.
Over the last month Joseph has been developing some bizarre symptoms. He has been drinking and urinating in excessive amounts. He also has been eating much more without putting on any weight. He's started having night sweats during the night and also during nap time. I recognized some of these symptoms as symptoms of diabetes, so I checked his blood sugar. It was nearly 200. The doctor didn't seem very worried and just told me so do a fasting blood sugar and see if that was more normal. So, I did that and it was pretty normal. However, the symptoms seem to be getting worse. The doctor said he could be getting ready to hit a growth spurt, but we should do some tests to double check things.
So, on Tuesday morning I took him to the hospital for several tests to rule out diabetes and anemia. I received a call back from them 2 days later, but my phone was in the car so I missed it. I knew that they don't usually call if everything is normal so I grew more and more worried as I waited for the office to reopen in the morning.
His tests all came back good except for one. He has a high number of ketones in his blood. The doctor said this could be from the fast or it may be something else. So, she ordered a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. We went and did that. It was a difficult and sad thing. Joseph had to have 4 separate blood draws in a 3 hour time span. My poor little boy was a trooper. I wish he hadn't had to go through this though.
So, now we await the results of the test. I am praying that it comes back normal. I know that juvenile diabetes is something that is very manageable now, but I still don't want him to live with something like that. I hope we hear back soon, so I can put this anxiety to rest.
I wrote this to get it out of my system. I have since gotten the tests results, and his sugar levels were great. He still has a high amount of ketones in his blood, so the doctor wants to speak with a pediatric endocrinologist before deciding if we need to do anything else. She seems confident that everything is fine. I will update if I find anything else new out, but I'm hoping that the doc is right, and everything is just fine.