Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 11 of 30

Day 11- One of your favorite memories:

This one is hard! It's not hard to think of favorite memories, but it's hard to narrow it down to one. So, I hope no one minds, but I'm going to share a few. And they are no particular order. .





  • My Gigi (Pronounced G-G. She was my Great Grandmother) fills my very early memory banks. Most of my memories of her are from about age 3. One of my favorite in particular is from during a time when my parents and siblings lived with her. If ever I woke up in the middle of the night I would come down stairs and wake GG up. She would take me in the kitchen and get me some ginger ale and then we'd sit in the dark and watch tv for a while. She'd hold me on her lap and she'd tell me how much she loved me and how there was nothing to be afraid of. As I started getting sleepy again she'd take me into her room and let me climb in her bed and sleep the rest of the night with her. She was such an amazing part of my very early childhood and I truly with I would have had more time with her.


  • Jamie, my first baby sister is also cemented into my early childhood memories. For those of you who don't know Jamie was born with a variation of Trisomy 21. And for those of you who don't know what Trisomy 21 is, it's a genetic mutation sort of similar to Downs Syndrome but she didn't look like a Downs patient. She basically had an extra piece of genetic material on a chromosome. Something that sounds pretty insignificant but unfortunately the body cannot handle this mistake and cannot survive very long. She was a fighter though and although the doctors thought she'd only live a few months she made it to nearly 2 1/2 years old. When she passed away she only had the development level of a 6 month old. She was and is to this day the most beautiful baby girl I've ever seen in my life. She was two years younger than me and as my first sister and first sibling I could not have loved her more. She had my Dad's dark Native American complexion and huge amounts of unruly gorgeous black curly hair. She was perfect in my eyes (even if genetically she was imperfect). But my favorite memories of her are of singing to her. Whenever she would cry or be unhappy all I need to do was to sing to her. She would stop crying or fussing and begin to listen and smile. I too wish I had more time with her. Jamie and GG went to heaven within a few months of each other. Jamie would be 25 years old this September and I often think about the person she would have been and wished that I still had her here.


  • I was 4 years old when my brother was born. I'm not sure why but I don't have any recollection of him being born. He just sort of shows up in my memories. But I couldn't leave him out. Although he spent so much of my childhood annoying me and being as bothersome as a little brother could be, I still love him. One memory of him that particularly sticks out is when I was probably about 7 and he about 3. My Mom was taking night classes at the time so it was just my Dad home with us. I remember us dragging his huge firetruck (that was a pedal car) out into the living room. We propped it up with the fire ladder it came with and both laid on our backs and proceeded to climb underneath and 'work' on the firetruck. We brought his tools out and we very efficient mechanics.


  • Now I can't talk about my other two siblings and not talk about my last baby sister. I began begging my Mother for a baby sister not long after Jamie's death. I know my parents were hesitant to add to their family. So I was filled with great anticipation when I found out that my baby sister was indeed on her way. When she finally was born I was 8 years old. I remember my Dad waking us up in the middle of the night and me falling out of the top of my bunk bed because I was so excited she was finally coming. I could not have loved her more. I was so grateful to have a sister again, and although we have such a large age difference to this day she is one of the closest people to me.


  • July 5, 2000 is also one of my favorite memories. That is the day that I met the boy I would marry. That is the day that I met and began falling in love with the boy who one day become the man who would father my children. We both worked at Target in the Food Avenue. I had recently just started working there and he was training me. We began officially dating later that month and we've been together since.


  • January 10, 2008 will forever be emblazoned upon my mind as well. This is the day that after nearly a year of trying we finally found out that our family would be growing. Joseph would arrive later that year. I took so many pregnancy tests because I doubted their validity after trying for so long with no success. And obviously the day of his birth (a mere 7 months and four days later) was one of my most precious memories. Although his birth didn't go as planned, I will never forget the first time I saw his gorgeous face.


I have so many favorite memories so don't be sad if you weren't included in one. I have a feisty toddler that is going to start climbing the walls if I spend any more time blogging. Thank you for taking the time to read about some of the favorite moments in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment