Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 4 of 30

Day 04- A habit that you wish you didn’t have:

Now this one is a little bit harder..

I used to be an incessant nail biter, but I no longer am. Don't get me wrong, if I break a nail I still use my teeth to 'finish the job'. But my nails grow long and strong now. I can't even say what really changed that made me stop. I just decided one day I didn't want to bite them anymore and then stopped. It's only been about 2 years or so since I stopped after doing it most of my life.

I guess something that still plagues me is my emotional eating and I really wish I didn't have that problem. For so many years I've filled myself literally and figuratively with food when mad, sad, or lonely. It really aided it taking me from just a little overweight to severely and morbidly obese. I've been working hard to break this connection and drop the weight that my emotions helped me put on. I'm down 47 lbs in about 12 1/2 months of trying. That's not to say that I still don't participate in emotional eating occasionally.

I guess I think maybe I'm better at it. If I do emotionally eat, most (not all) of the time I eat far less than I would have before. It's still not the solution, but it's not as big of a problem as it was before. Most of the time I just remind myself that if I have an emotional eating binge chances are I am going to have to re-take off one of those pounds I worked so hard to lose.

I will definitely say my emotional eating is getting farther and fewer between episodes. I'd like to say I've found a better outlet for it, but I don't know if I buy that. There's been a few times that I've exercised instead of eating and that seems to help burn off some of the overwhelming emotions.

All I can do is to constantly be vigilant about what makes me eat emotionally and try to stave off these situations, and if one does slip through my radar do my best to find something constructive to do instead of eating. I know one day I'll kick this habit and that day can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment