Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 7 of 30

Day 07- A picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you:



This should be a no brainer to you all. Joseph, my dear son, has had the greatest impact on my life. This picture was taken just a couple hours after his birth while he was still in the NICU.

From a very young age I had a overwhelming desire to be a Mommy. I'm sure most girls do. As I began to get older I knew that a Mommy is what I wanted to be most in my life. When someone would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up I always answered teacher, but I knew in the back of my mind that Mommy was the one true answer.

For a lot of people being a Mommy is not considered a profession. Therefore it's not socially acceptable to say your goal in life is to become a Mommy. Society wants you to choose a profession that is lucrative and will provide financial security. That's part of the reason that I will never be considered a feminist. Forty plus years ago there would be nothing wrong with a girl aspiring to be a wife and mother. But nowadays it's frowned upon to make that your 'career'.

Unfortunately our society has moved away from homemaker being a dominant profession and has thrust us into a world that in most situations you must have a dual income home to financially support your family. I truly believe that more women given the choice (and the means to do so) would choose to be homemakers. I know it's not for everyone, and I respect that. I can understand not everyone is cut out for this and may have other aspirations for careers. I think women who don't want to or can't be homemakers should not look down upon those who choose to work outside of the home and vice versa.

A lot of people will look down on you if you choose to be a homemaker. I spent 5 years working for JPMorgan Chase and really enjoyed my job. The banking industry is usually a well respected area to work out of. When I chose to quit my job (I was not laid off or fired), it was a family decision that my husband and I made together for our family. But when someone asks what you do for a living and you tell them homemaker most of the time they will look down at you. They automatically assume you cannot hold a job or were fired for some reason or another. If you have to fill out paperwork for doctors or other appointments they will automatically list you as 'unemployed'. Unemployed? Ha! I work harder, longer hours than I ever did when I worked for the bank. I don't get vacation time, I don't get sick time (that is unless I am hospitalized), and I don't get personal days.

I am blessed to be married to a man that understands, respects, agrees with, and encourages my innate need to nurture, stay home and care for our family. He works his butt off trying to find a way to support our family financially so that I can continue to be home for our family. We make less money than we did when I was working and it still all works out. In fact I think we are better off financially than we were when I still working outside the home. God provides for us and continues to bless this path we've chosen to take.

But this little boy, in the picture above is what it's mostly about. Yes, my husband is part of my decision to stay home. I want to be able to provide him with a tidy, well kept home, home cooked meals, and take care of the million other domestic chores he shouldn't have to deal with while he is out in the world making a living for our family.

But that little boy up there is my life. Being this little boy's Mommy is what I was born to be. There is no greater job with better benefits than what I receive in being his Mother. He is a miracle to me. Joseph is perfect in his own way, and I am blessed.

Joseph makes me work harder to be a better person and parent for him. He pushes me to be more understanding and patient. He gives me a different view of this world around me. He gives me reason to slow down and smell the roses, literally and metophorically. Even if it's just long enough to point out those roses and let him get a whiff of them.

He's forced me to learn more about the world around me so that I can teach him and protect him. He amazes me on a daily basis. He is a brilliant little boy. He is the most loving and affectionate child I've ever met. He's inquistive and artistic and imaginative. I am so blessed and lucky to be able to push him further, teach him, love him, and help him grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment