Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 9 of 30

Day 09- Something you’re proud of in the past few days:

Well this one is super easy! Over the past few days I've been extremely proud of Joseph completing his potty training!

Potty training was definitely the most difficult and frustrating part of parenthood thus far. It was a battle of wills. Joseph didn't feel there was any reason for him to use the toilet instead of the diaper. With the diaper he never had to stop playing to use the bathroom or stop watching his cartoons. He could just pee and poop where ever he stood. He felt this whole toilet business was just a major inconvenience for him.

We've been trying for months to get him on board with the potty training. You name it, we've tried it. We tried a sticker chart. We tried candy after every time he used the toilet. We tried putting cheerios in the toilet to give him something to pee on. We've tried scolding him. We've tried laying on the praise real thick. Nothing was working.

Recently Joseph has become very fascinated with money. So I got a roll of pennies. I told him every time he went potty in the toilet he would get one penny. I told him pooping in the toilet would get him two pennies. The drawback? If he peed in his underwear he had to pay me one penny and if he pooped in his pants then he owed me two. This worked really well and after a few days he had the entire roll of pennies in his possession.

Although it worked well he was still having accidents because he just didn't want to take the time to use the toilet.

Every time I go to Target he's been bugging me to buy him the Cars 2 race track. It's a very expensive toy that will no doubt be too old for him and break really quickly. But, I figured this may just do the potty training trick. I told him that if he really wanted the race track he had to use the toilet all the time. No more accidents. I told him he could get the race track on his birthday as long as he was potty trained. He was definitely on board with this idea. He began using the toilet flawlessly and after each time he asked for his race track.

Now we are entering the third week of no daytime accidents and just about to finish the first week of sleeping in underwear at night with no accidents.

I'm relieved that this part of his childhood is complete. I'm proud that I have a big boy now that can tell me when he needs to use the bathroom even if we're out running errands or on a 3 hour car trip to Grand Rapids.

He's an awesome kid!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Thats so exciting - great job Mommy and Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, our boys are so much alike! "He felt this whole toilet business was just a major inconvenience for him." I actually LOLed when I read that. That was SO Hunter too. I finally told him one day that diapers weren't allowed and for some reason, he did NOT want to go on the floor..so it finally worked in our favor. But seriously, with both Hunter and Joseph, they both had the ability long ago, they just didn't feel like it!

    ReplyDelete