Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 13 of 30

Today's Tip:
Allow yourself to splurge or indulge occasionally. If you don't learn to eat the things you love in moderation you will one day go on a calorie bender from so much restriction. For me I'd say my indulgence or calorie splurge is Coke. I love Coke. Before I started being mindful of what I was putting in my body I would drink several Cokes a day. Now that I understand more about my body Coke is not a staple of my diet. In the beginning it was hard. If I was at a party or get together and there was Coke I would never be able to restrain. Now I'm able to abstain from it on a regular basis. If I've had a particularly good streak of maintaining or losing weight and I know I've been pretty strict with myself I will allow myself one can of Coke as a treat. Luckily my corner store sells Cokes by the can so I don't have to trust myself with a 20 oz. So whatever your vice is, whatever you've restricted yourself from, let yourself have it every once in a while as a treat. I probably only have 1 can of Coke every 4 - 6 weeks or so. And that's quite an improvement from multiple 20 oz's a day.

Today's Exercise Tip:
I thought I would give you a couple more ideas for cardio-esque workouts. Try incorporating jumping jacks or jumping rope into your workout. They are both great at getting your whole body involved and getting your heart rate up.

Today's Foodie Tip:
Eat WHOLE GRAINS! I'll admit this was a hard one for me when I started out. I loved my carbs made from bleached flour! Okay, well not really, but you know what I mean. There is a distinct difference in taste from products that are not whole grain to products that are.

Start with a whole grain bread. This is probably the easiest switch to made. Make sure the whole wheat flour is the first ingredient on the package. I've also made the change over to brown rice, whole grain English muffins, and I'm currently working on the change over for my family to whole grain pastas.

Whole grains have so many positives. They most importantly help reduce the risk of heart disease. They are also great for cholesterol. Whole grains can help lower triglycerides (they are part of the bad part of your cholesterol). They can also slow buildup of plaque in the heart (thus the reduced risk of heart disease). They have been shown to help lower blood pressure and also reduce the risk of stroke (due to the slowing of the buildup of plaque. They are usually higher in antioxidants, folic acid and fiber.

If you're brought up on whole grains it will be an ingrained part of your diet. I, however, was not brought up on anything other than bleached or enriched grains. Our son is being brought up on whole grains. He eats whole grain bread, brown rice, and oatmeal. And I'm happy knowing I am doing everything I can to protect his, my husband's and my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment