Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 2 of 30

Today's Tip:
Drink TONS of water! Seriously, start drinking water when you get up and do it as often as possible through the day. I read some where a long time ago that you should take your weight in pounds - divide by 2 - and whatever number that is you should drink a minimum of that in ounces of water. For example, let's say you weigh 184 lbs. 184 divided by 2 is 92. Therefore you should drink at least 92 ounces of water every day. No - juice, milk, pop do not count towards your water tally. If you really dislike water try drinking unsweetened iced tea. There are no calories in teas that aren't sweetened. Plus there are so many different flavors of tea that you can make it at home in a big jug and refrigerate. You will never get bored if you try a different flavor of tea every week. Watch out for the caffeine though. I would personally try to choose caffeine free teas but that's because I have a bad reaction to too much caffeine now that I don't drink it on a daily basis.

Today's Exercise Tip:
Hopefully you've all taken my suggestion to start walking yesterday. That being said, for heart health it's recommended that you exercise 20 minutes five days a week. My life is a little chaotic so I do it a little differently. Five days a week at 20 minutes is 100 minutes a week. My goal is to workout at least 100 minutes a week and I always try to surpass that. For example I worked out 175 minutes this week. I am averaging about 4 days of working out a week. I'll speak later this week about what exactly I do for some of my workouts. But the point is to get up and get moving above and beyond your daily routine and make sure you are doing it for 100 minutes a week. Now if you're just starting out aim for a smaller goal and then work your way up. Maybe try 25 minutes and then the week after try to do 30 minutes. Each week keep adding time and eventually you'll be up to 100 minutes a week.

Today's Foodie Tip:
Yesterday I shared one of my favorite lunches. Today I'd like to share one of my favorite breakfasts. I call this a breakfast sandwich. I like to use Aunt Millie's Whole Wheat Lite bread (this is one of the only foods I eat with the word 'lite' in it). I take one slice (35 calories) and toast it. Then I bake one Morning Farm veggie sausage patty (80 calories) according to the directions on the package. Once my bread is toasted I cut the toast in half and then put 1/2 slice of American cheese (30 calories) on one side of the bread, then I cut the sausage patty in half and place it directly on the cheese. You can always get the sausage baking while you're getting ready in the morning and by the time you're ready your sausage should be cooked. If you make it like I do you are looking at 145 calories. Then you can choose to add some fresh fruit to your plate to round out the meal. I also sometimes make these breakfast sandwiches as a snack since they are so low in calories. Joseph loves them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment