Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 4 of 30

Today's Tip:
The best way to boost your metabolism and stave off hunger during dieting is to eat several times throughout the day. If you don't eat often you will allow yourself to get too hungry and may have difficulty controlling your portion size come the next meal. I try to always eat within an hour of waking and then continue to eat every two - three hours throughout the day right up until bedtime. Here's a sample schedule:

9:30 - breakfast
11:30 - snack
1:30 - lunch
4:30 - snack
6:30 - dinner
9:30 - snack

This isn't exactly how my day goes but it's pretty close. Just because you are dieting doesn't mean you have to be hungry. I honestly eat more often than I ever did before dieting.

Today's Exercise Tip:
Video games can be a good way to get yourself up and moving. I personally love the Wii Fit Plus. It has several games that allow me to get my heart rate up and get sweating. It makes working out a little less tedious and a little more fun. I've heard the Kinect for the Xbox is good as well but I've never personally tried it. There are all sorts of workout games out there. I tried a Wii Zumba game not long ago that was pretty good too.

Today's Foodie Tip:
I will be telling you how to make this tasty dish!



This dish is one of my favorite dinners. I call it fajita salad. It's my copycat version of a salad from Jose Muldoon's in Colorado Springs. If you make it the way I do you are looking at 418 calories. And it's very, very filling!

Here are your ingredients:
- 12 oz. of Top Round of London Broil, 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick (I use a 12 oz cut but I am cooking for two people - the serving will be 6 oz of beef per person)
- Shredded Cheese
- Romaine Lettuce (chopped)
- Tortilla Strips
- Cilantro
- Radish (sliced about 1 1/2 radish per salad)
- Cucumber (sliced about 1/4 cup per salad)
- Tomatoes (I like cherry tomatoes) (sliced and about 1/4 cup per salad)
- Bell Pepper (any color)
- Red Onion

First preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put beef on broiling pan and season with your choice of seasoning. I use Lawry's and the original Mrs. Dash.

When the oven has reached 350 degrees put beef in. After 5 minutes flip beef and season other side. Then bake for another 5 minutes. Once beef has cooked for 5 minutes on each side remove from oven. Then turn broiler on. Once the broiler has reached temperature put beef back in. This time you want to cook about 3 1/2 minutes on each side. We prefer our meat medium - medium rare (so if you like it done more you just need to broil a little longer on each side).

While the beef is cooking or the oven is heating you can work on the fajita veggies or salad part.

For the fajita veggies you want to slice you onion in strips as well as your bell pepper. For two people I would use one whole pepper and 1/2 of one large onion. Place those in a non-stick saute pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You want to cook these until they are soft but still firm and have evenly browned. Set them aside to cool down.

To make your salad use a large bowl for each person. First layer in the cut up romaine lettuce. Next is the cilantro (use to taste - I like a lot but not everyone does). I don't chop the cilantro I just rip it from the bunch. After the cilantro comes the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and radish. On top of that layer your cooked peppers and onions. Next I sprinkle on the shredded cheese (I use an 1/8 of a cup).

Once your beef is done cooking let it sit for a couple minutes. Then move it to a cutting board and begin slicing. Remember you are eating this as a salad so make your slices accordingly. Once the beef is sliced layer it on to the top of the salad and then sprinkle with tortilla strips.

I hope you all enjoy this meal as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment