Wednesday, February 22, 2012

12w4d & Ultrasound from 11w6d

The baby's growth for this week:

What's up with your baby? Well, besides being as large as a peach now, that big old noggin of hers is now about half the size of her crown-to-rump length (that’s one reason why your little peach looks more like an alien from outer space at this point). By the time you give birth, her body will catch up, measuring three-quarters of her total size. What else is going on in there? Tiny bones are beginning to form in her arms and legs, the intestines are beginning to move from the umbilical cord to the abdomen, and the vocal cords are well under construction (the first step toward saying, "I love you, Mommy!"). And because she can move her arms and legs in a jerky fashion, she may be able to get her thumb into her mouth (a habit that may come in handy for self-soothing when she’s a newborn).

According to my pregnancy tracker we started the 2nd trimester last Saturday. It's a big milestone considering how many complications we've had thus far. If I'm being completely honest though, I'm still nervous. It could be the terrible dreams I had this week where whenever I'd go to the bathroom I'd be hemmorraging. Or it could be the fact that I know of two pregnant women who experienced terrible pregnancy losses this week (one at 22 weeks and one at 26 weeks). I guess I'm afraid if I get too attached this will all end terribly. I'm hoping that as we progress the nervousness will dissipate.

Physically I'm doing okay. My morning sickness seems to come and go. Some days are better with only short periods of sickness but other days leave me sick as a dog. I think overall it is improving though.

The fatigue is overwhelming at times. It seems like I barely exert myself and am left exhausted. I've also found that anything tomato I eat leaves me with terrible heartburn.

I've been feeling flutters that remind me of the early movements I felt Joseph make. I've yet to feel a definite "kick" though, but I am still pretty early for that anyway.

These pregnancy pictures were taken at 12w2d.




We went for our 12 week NT scan at 11w6d. Everything looks perfect. The baby measured (if I remember correctly) 53mm from crown to rump and the NT measurement was only 1.3mm (which is perfect). They said this means there is no sign of neural tube defects, but we will follow up with bloodwork. Below are the pictures from the ultrasound. The first one is a profile view of the baby and the second is a full view of baby.



1 comment:

  1. Cameron made me not be able to eat anything tomato either. gave me terrible heartburn & acid re flux. Sounds like a girl :). Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete