Tuesday, March 27, 2012

17w3d

Here is the baby's growth info for this week:

Your baby weighs about 5.25 ounces (150g) and now measures 5 to 5.6 inches (12.5 to 14cm) from crown to rump. He is practicing breathing by gulping amniotic fluid into its lungs. This helps the lung's development so they will function at birth. Your baby may also be sucking his thumb.
Meconium is present in your baby's bowels. There is hair present on your baby's scalp and sweat glands are developing. Your baby is becoming more sensitive to the outside world and is moving around, kicking and punching. As there is still plenty of space in your uterus, your baby can move around a lot, sitting cross-legged, reclining or even turning somersaults! He can probably hear by now as the ossicles (the bones that pass sound to the inner ear) have hardened and the portion of the brain that receives signals from the brain is under development. Your baby is getting used to the sound of your heartbeat and blood passing through the umbilical cord, but may be startled by loud noises. Your baby is aware of some things in the outside world, including sounds and light. If you let the sun shine on your belly, your baby may be able to perceive a warm red glow.

I'm feeling decent lately. My only real complaints are the swelling that I've been experiencing (mostly in my legs and ankles but sometimes in my hands), and the back pain the baby is causing. This week has also brought my first Braxton Hicks contractions, something that I was not looking forward to. My Braxton Hicks always seem to be pretty painful, which make me wonder if they aren't real contractions. But since they don't come regularly or even every day for that matter I'm not too concerned.

This week also brought me being able to feel little baby's foot when he/she kicked me. It was pretty special.

I have another infection down in the Nether regions. The OB and OB nurse said sometimes pregnancy is like this and I might just have to be on antibiotics during most of the pregnancy to keep everything in check. Apparently if the bacteria gets out of control it can cause pre-term labor along with a bunch of other things. It got bad enough this week to give me some severe cramping. The terrible thing about the antibiotic is my body's inability to keep them down unless I take my nausea medicine. The BP meds make me sleepy enough, pair that with the nausea meds and I might as well just stay in bed all day. That makes being a SAHM to a 3 year old extremely challenging.

We find out baby's gender in 13 days. I'm really ready to know. I have specific ideas for either gender and would like to get this show on the road. Especially since we are looking at an induction at or before term because of the PIH, I want to get prepared as soon as possible. Every day that I get closer to my due date also brings me closer to possible bed rest. So, I need to get prepared.

The pics this week are from 17w1d.

No comments:

Post a Comment