Wednesday, May 2, 2012

22w4d

Here is Milica's growth info for this week:

Your baby now weighs almost 1 lb (450g) and measures about 8 inches (20cm) from crown to rump. She is becoming plumper as her fat is being laid down at a high rate, but her skin is still wrinkled and reddish. The wrinkled and loose appearance of her skin is due to the faster production of her skin than the fat that fills it out. The reddish appearance of her skin is due to the deposition of pigment as her skin loses its translucent appearance. Your baby can kick and punch vigorously by now, but she may also be gently feeling the umbilical cord and rubbing her hands and face against the inside membrane of the amniotic sac that holds her. She is still swallowing amniotic fluid (which provides an important nutritional supplement to the nutrition she gets from you via the placenta) and is passing some of it as urine. The swallowing of the amniotic fluid may cause your baby to get the hiccups and you may even be able to feel this as her body jumps inside yours. The lanugo hair on your baby's body may turn darker at this time.

I know I am super late for my post this week! I'm sorry about that, I do have an explanation of sorts.

This week's been a little challenging. Not only was I finishing up the antibiotic for my latest UTI but on Monday night I began having some strong pressure and discomfort pelvically.

I tried to ignore it. I tried to drink water and lay down on my side and rest. Nothing was relieving the discomfort and it began to become pretty worrisome. I decided to head into L&D just for some reassurance.

I was hooked up to the monitors and was not having any contractions. I didn't think I was, but it's standard protocol. Then they decided to check my cervix and it was found to be closed (0), 50% effaced, and the baby at a -5 position. I was a little alarmed to here that I was 50% effaced considering I am only 22 weeks along. I asked for confirmation from the resident checking me and she confirmed it and said that it was fine because "I still had 50% to go." This didn't sit right with me, but without being able to speak to my normal OB I went along with things. They did some cultures (because of my propensity to have infections this pregnancy) and discharged me. The understanding was that I probably had another infection causing discomfort but because I've had so many they want things cultured before prescribing an antibiotic.

So, I went home, not really relieved. I was more concerned and still feeling yucky. My husband was loving enough to stay home so that I could rest the next day. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling any better. I called my OB at 9:30am and also at 1pm because I still hadn't heard back. She was in and out of surgeries most of the day and wasn't able to look at anything in my chart until 5:30pm. She was a little frustrated with the resident because she had called her the night before and not mentioned anything about any effacement. She wanted me to go back in to L&D for a re-evaluation of the situation.

I went in and was once again found to NOT be contracting. Again, I didn't think I was. The new resident checked my cervix was that I was at 0 (closed), 0%, and -5. Apparently when the resident had checked me the night before she was feeling the outer part of the cervix (and after you've given birth that outer part of the cervix is always a little bit open). The inner part is what matters. My inner os (cervix) was closed, high, and thick. At that point though I think my OB had demanded an ultrasound when calling to let them know I was coming back in.

They sent me down for ultrasound. They gave me pictures, but our daughter is stubborn and not really any of them are good so I probably won't be posting anything. Anyways, the ultrasound went well. The tech confirmed that Milica is definitely a girl. She was also measuring right on schedule again with a heart rate in the 150's (she's nothing if not consistent). She is also estimated to be 1lb 3oz.

The internal ultrasound for the measurement of my cervix went well too. When I was waiting for the results my OB actually showed up. She had been called in for a c-section and wanted to check on my test results and see me before she left. She told me that normally the length or thickness for a cervix at 22 weeks is around 3 cm. She said she's never seen a cervix as long or thick as mine (nearly 5 1/2 cm). Apparently my cervix is an overachiever. She said there is no indication or reason at all to believe that with a cervix as long and thick as mine that I will go into pre-term labor at all.

There's still some uncertainty about what's causing my pelvic pressure. It still could be another infection (we're still awaiting the results from the cultures) or it could be the fact that the placenta is partially over my cervix compounded with the fact that Milica is head down and applying pressure to that area as well.

Other than that I'm feeling okay. I'm happy to officially be done with the zombie meds again. She's moving and kicking like crazy. The warmer weather is bringing out the Michelin Man in me. I will from now on be referring to myself as Puff-o-saurus.

The pictures this week we taken today at 22w4d.


No comments:

Post a Comment